Barnstable High School History & Social Sciences
"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history
is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the
lots of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth
a tiny ripple of hope." – Robert F. KennedyThe History & Social Sciences program at BHS is diverse and comprehensive. Students are provided theopportunity to choose from a wide variety of courses that will meet their needs and learning styleswithin an atmosphere that is challenging and caring. History and Social Sciences encompasses the study ofsocial relationships in all their variation, both past and present, drawing from the disciplines ofanthropology, economics, geography, government, history, sociology, and psychology.The Department endeavors to prepare students to:
- Think like historians and social scientists by using inquiry methods to analyze information and synthesize ideas.
- Demonstrate civic competence.
- Identify enduring traditions in American society and the contributions of various cultural and ethnic groups.
- Appreciate the interdependence of nations and people in a global society.
- Develop clear oral and written communication skills.