BUES School Information
Dear Parents and Guardians,Please take the time to read through this and mark your calendars with our many upcoming events.
Parent Teacher Association:
PTA meetings are generally held on the second Tuesday of every month, when possible. All are welcome and encouraged to attend and participate in events. The meeting dates are 9/10, 10/8, 11/12, 12/10, 1/14, 2/11, 3/10, 4/14, 5/12, and 6/9.
School Advisory Council:
The School Council will meet on a monthly basis in the school library from 4-5pm. The meeting dates are 9/10, 10/8, 11/12, 12/10, 1/14, 2/11, 3/10, 4/14, 5/12, and 6/9. Our PTA will be sponsoring the elections during both of our Curriculum Nights/Open Houses.
School hours are from 8:10 a.m. to 2:40 p.m. Students may arrive between 7:50 a.m. and 8:10 a.m. Any student arriving after 8:10 a.m. will be considered tardy. Students who are tardy must be accompanied by an adult who will sign the child into school. Breakfast is available from 7:50 a.m. to 8:10 a.m. in classrooms.
**Parent Portal--Back to School Student Information Site:www.barnstable.k12.ma.us/bts
In order to best serve, support, and protect students, we need parents/guardians to annually update each student’s personal and medical information. This once a year process is necessary in order for the school to have accurate, important student information, such as addresses, phone numbers, emergency contacts, and medical needs. You will need your child’s student local identification number (LASID--this is his/her 6-digit lunch code). The student’s LASID will be the username to log into the site, and the student’s date of birth, including the / sign (forward slash) in this format (mm/dd/yyyy) will be the password. Don’t forget the forward slash. Please have the updated information ready to edit your student’s account. If you have no changes, you need to verify the information for each student and save it. The portal opens on August 30th.
We are providing daycare at 6:45am -7:45am each morning. Students must be dropped off at the cafeteria in the rear of the building. The cost is $5/day. If you are interested in having your child participate, please call Jean McNamara, Daycare Coordinator, at 508-681-9960 to sign up.
Safety Reminder: When you drop off your child, please use caution since this is where the SE buses unload.
November 20, December 3, December 5, January 15, February 12, March 11, April 1, May 22, and the last day of school (Note: October 11--no school for students)
All students riding the bus must have a bus pass issued by the school district. As per the bus company rules, students may only ride the bus that they have been assigned to and exit at their designated stop. For further information, please contact Sandy Gifford at 508-790-6498. Bus routes and times are printed on individual passes.
Parent Drop-Off Procedure:
Time of drop-off: 7:50-8:10 am
- Cars arrive in a single file line and pull up to the curb from the front of the building to the end of the gym. Basically, this area is from the front crosswalk to the beginning of the curb by the gym (about 8-9 cars at a time).
- This line of cars of 8-9 cars will unload. Children exit on the curb side only and walk along the sidewalk to the main entrance.\
- All cars drop off and leave in the order that they arrived. This will maintain the single line of cars from the point of arrival to drop-off to exit, avoiding any accidents from passing stopped vehicles.
No cell phone use in the drop-off line.
Parent Pick-Up Procedure:
Students who will be picked up every day, or have a note in the morning to be picked up that day, will exit the building entrance at 2:30 p.m., where staff will supervise dismissal. Should you need to pick up your child early, please sign him or her out in the main office. We ask that early dismissals are limited to doctor’s appointments and family emergencies.
In order for us to maintain the safest environment for your child, please make sure that the school office has a current custody agreement on file.
Time of pick-up: 2:30-2:50 pm--The announcement is made at 2:30pm.
- All parents/guardians must use the pick up line. Parking in the lots at dismissal is not permitted. Parking your car and walking to meet your child slows down the line of traffic and adds to the number of people crossing in front of cars. For the safety of your child and to move the line of traffic more efficiently, remain in your car and a staff member will bring your child to you.
- Cars arrive in two lanes and pull down to the front crosswalk. Cones will mark the pull-up stopping point and will mark the end of the first group of cars. Children will be loaded into that group of cars only.
- Cars within the cones must turn their engines off, an important safety measure recommended by the Barnstable Police Department. Once the cars are loaded, the staff member on the crosswalk will signal when it is safe to exit. Cars waiting for stragglers who are not outside will be rerouted back into the parent line.
No cell phone use in the pick-up line.
Tardy Students: If your child arrives after 8:10 am, the parent/guardian must park and sign his/her child in at the main office. Cars cannot park or idle in the Fire Lane.
Early Dismissals: We have seen an increase in early dismissals. Every time that we call into a classroom, we are interrupting the learning in that classroom. We understand that there are times that require a child to be dismissed early. Please try to avoid this, if possible, so that we can continue to provide uninterrupted instruction for our students.
Dismissal Change: It is vitally important that you send in a note if you are changing the way in which your child gets home. Occasionally, children forget that you are picking them up and get onto the bus. In order for us to expedite the retrieval of your child from the bus, please provide the staff member assisting you with the name of your child’s bus.
Walkers / Bike Riders:
Students who are walking or riding to school must wait in the main foyer until all of the buses have left the area. If your son or daughter is riding a bike, please be sure he or she wears a helmet.
We require all visitors to identify themselves and the purpose of their visit by pressing our school buzzer, and then stopping at the main office to sign in and receive a visitor pass. All visitors must present a form of I.D. For safety reasons, this has become our standard procedure.
Forgotten Item Drop Off:
In order to minimize disruptions throughout the day, we call students to the main office at 10:58 a.m. and at the end of the day, for items that have been dropped off.
School Supplies: List attached with Teacher’s Letter
Our cafeteria provides nutritious breakfasts every day and tasty lunches each full day of school. Breakfast is free while lunch is $2.85 (subject to change). Reduced and free-of-cost meals are available to those who qualify.
A computerized cash register system is utilized in our cafeteria. All students will receive a student ID card for purchases which will be utilized for the rest of their career in the Barnstable Public Schools. Meals may be pre-paid with cash or checks (made payable to the Barnstable School Lunch Program) or you may use the “MySchoolbucks” link found on our website.
Important Telephone Numbers:
Main Office: 508-420-2272
Guidance Office: 508-420-0190
Five Star Bus Co. 508-213-8916
Parent / Teacher Conferences:
Communication between parents and teachers is critical in fostering academic and social achievement. Although you may schedule an appointment to meet with a teacher at any time, below are half days set aside for conferences. Dismissal will be at 11:a.m. on these dates:
Tuesday December 3rd
Thursday December 5th
Under the auspices of Section 1111 (h)(6) of the No Child Left Behind legislation, parents have the right to know the professional qualifications of their child’s teacher. In order to meet this requirement, BUES alerts all parents / guardians of any staff member who does not meet professional standards.
Rules and Responsibilities:
Our commitment to you is to maintain a safe and orderly learning environment for your child while providing the best academic program possible. As partners in education, we need to all be aware of expectations. While the Student / Parent Handbook provides an in-depth look at the code of conduct, the following will give you some insight as to what is to come:
At the Barnstable United Elementary School, we will emphasize to every student the following:
- Do your homework each and every night.
- Do the best you can each day in your classwork.
- Treat others the way you want to be treated.
- Respect self, others, and your surroundings.
- Take responsibility for yourself and your actions.
- Take care of each other.
We ask parents and guardians to act as partners in education in these areas:
- Check your child’s homework every night.
- Work with the school to deliver a consistent message regarding student responsibility.
- Encourage your child to read nightly.
- Make sure your child is on time for school.
On behalf of the staff, welcome to the Barnstable United Elementary School!