School Report Card - Letter to Parents
HYANNIS WEST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Kathi Amato, Principal
549 West Main Street Hyannis, MA 02601
Phone: 508-790-6480 & Fax: 508-790-9844January 10, 2018
Dear Parent or Guardian:
We are pleased to enclose a copy of our school’s report card. It contains information about school and district accountability, achievement, our students and teachers, and other important measures of school performance.
The first page of the report card contains important accountability information:
- Accountability and Assistance Levels: Schools and districts are placed into one of five accountability and assistance levels (1-5), with the highest rating being Level 1 and lowest rating being Level 5. Our school has been given an accountability designation of “no level” because students in our school participated in the 2017 Next-Generation MCAS tests.
The first page of the report card also shows how students in our school are performing on the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) tests. Achievement and progress information is reported for our school and is also compared to the performance of our district and the state.
The second page of the report card provides information about the students and teachers in our school as compared to the district and the state. Also included are other important measures of school performance, such as attendance, suspension rates, and high school performance.
To improve student achievement in our school, we implement a Multi-tiered System of Supports for Academics and Social Emotional Learning (SEL). Students are regularly assessed in Reading, Math, and SEL, and the appropriate instruction and interventions are provided based on assessment results. Our school-wide schedule provides daily 90 minute, uninterrupted Reading and Math blocks along with a 45 minute intervention block. All interventionists, such as Special Education, ELL, and Title I teachers, provide small group instruction using a push-in model. This allows increased time on learning and for all students to receive the level or enrichment or support that they need. Please see the School Improvement Plan on our website, www.barnstable.k12.ma.us/hywest, for more details about what we are doing at Hyannis West to improve student achievement.
We encourage you to become involved in helping us improve our school. Some of the ways you can become involved are:
- Encouraging your child’s learning at home
- Attending parent-teacher meetings and other special meetings
- Serving as a volunteer in our school or district
- Encouraging other parents to become involved
Finally, if your child attends a school that receives federal Title I funds (Hyannis West does), you also have the right to request the following information about the qualifications of your child’s classroom teachers:
- Whether your child’s teacher is licensed in the grade levels and subject areas they teach
- Whether your child’s teacher is teaching under an emergency license or waiver
- The college degree and major of your child’s teacher
- Whether your child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications
For more information about what we are doing to improve student achievement or to request information about the qualifications of your child’s classroom teachers, please feel free to contact us at 508-790-6480. For a full copy of this report card, or to see report cards for other schools, visit profiles.doe.mass.edu.
Kathi Amato, Principal