The winter months increase the possibility of school closures--or delayed openings due to severe weather conditions.
Decisions to close school or delay starting times are always difficult. Before a decision is made, school and bus company officials monitor weather conditions and personally check the roads. If conditions are severe enough to threaten the safety of students traveling to and from school, a decision is made to close or delay school. The decision is usually made by 6 A.M.The following radio and television stations will make this announcement.Radio
- WCIB - 101.9 FM
- WQRC - 99.9 FM
- WCOD - 106.1 FM
- WXTK - 95.1 FM
- WOCN - 104.7 FM
- WKPE - 103.9 FM
- WOMR - 92.1 FM
- WPXC - 102.9 FM
- WPLM - 99.1 FM
Two hour late opening:All schools and bus times will begin two hours later than regular starting time. School will end at the normal time. All other school activities will take place at their originally scheduled times.
- WBZ - Channel 4
- WCVB - Channel 5
- WHDH - Channel 7
- WLVI - Channel 56
If the schools dismiss students early, an announcement will be broadcast on the radio and television stations listed.All schools will be closed for the day. Students and staff are to remain home. Emergency personnel will report to work.**Unless otherwise announced, school will be in normal session.
How is the decision made?Weather conditions vary through the school district. On days when school is closed or delayed, the district receives a tremendous number of phone calls from parents and community members questioning the decision. It is important to keep in mind that the safety of all students is of prime important and schools may be closed or delayed because of severe weather conditions in one or two school attendance areas of the district.
- Parents should teach their children safe walking and bus waiting procedures.
- Because young children are likely to be affected by delays, longer travel lime or personal apprehensiveness, parents are encouraged to make individual decisions about school attendance during inclement weather.
- When late opening is announced, morning kindergarten and pre-school classes will be canceled.
- When early dismissal is announced, afternoon kindergarten and pre-school classes will be canceled.
- Home pick-ups for special education students may not be possible because of time, home location, weather or traffic. Parents of these children may phone the Special Education Dispatcher for information.
Sometimes school remains open on days when there is snow on the ground. Parents who have serious concerns about the safety of their students may keep their children home--without academic penalty--until they feel it is safe for them to travel.