June 12, 2022
Hello Hyannis West Families!
Many families are asking about the last day of school. The last day is Monday, June 27th and it is a HALF day of school. It’s coming up quick!
- This week is Hyannis West School Pride Week. Each day will have a different theme. Please see the flier below for details.
- There is NO school on Monday, June 20th, in observance of Juneteenth. Prior to Monday, we will be talking to students about the meaning of Juneteenth and why it is important for all of us to acknowledge this important day in history.
- Title I Family Game Night is this Tuesday, June 14th, from 5:45 - 6:45 p.m. It will be held in the Hy West Courtyard so bring a blanket and a game to play. Those attending should have filled out a form prior to the event.
- If you have or know a child in our district who will be 5 years old by September 1st, they need to register for Kindergarten.
- This week we will continue to practice the Star Expectation of including others. We will connect empathy to this important skill that our students can use at school, at home, and in the community.
- Understandably, families may be apprehensive about sending their children to school in light of recent events. For your information, here are some safely protocols that are in place at our school:
- All outside doors are locked during the school day. Entrance doors are only open during drop-off and pick-up, and during those times there is increased staff presence.
- There is increased police presence at or around our school. While they may not be parked in our lot at all times, they are driving through more frequently.
- We have an Adopt-a-School Officer assigned to our school who stops by often and there is a full-time Resource Officer assigned to Barnstable High School which is virtually across the street from Hyannis West.
- All Hy West staff have participated in ALICE training. This training enables staff to make decisions, such as evacuating or locking down. Throughout the year we practice and discuss different scenarios so that staff can make decisions that will keep everyone safe.
- Parents/Guardians of Hy West students are invited to our Field Day on Friday, June 17th, to cheer on your child. Students will spend a half day outside with their classmates, participating in fun activities. Please do NOT just walk to the back of the school. Every visitor MUST check in at the front office before heading out to Field Day. Thank you for your cooperation and we hope to see you there!
- Our Lost and Found is still overflowing! Check out the pictures of the lost clothing items on our Hy West PTO Facebook Page. If items aren’t claimed by the end of the school year, they will be donated.
- If your child is sick and cannot attend school, please report their absence to Nurse Ricki at (508) 790-6480 ext. 1532 or via email.
- Please use these important links as needed:
Have a wonderful week! If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.
Respectfully, Kathi Amato