May 8, 2022
Hello Hyannis West Families!
Happy Sunday and Happy Mother’s Day! Please enjoy the latest Hy West News!
- Thank you to all the families who sent in notes and treats for our amazing staff last week for Teacher Appreciation! Everything was thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated!
- May is Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage month. Throughout this month, I will highlight the accomplishments of AAPI individuals during our morning announcements.
- For the next two weeks our Star Expectation is personal space. With less masks and no protocols for distancing, students are excited to be close together. But suddenly having people in your space (or bubble as we say in elementary school) can be uncomfortable so we are teaching our students to advocate for their own space and to respectfully ask others if they need space.
- Thanks to the Enoch Cobb Trust and the Hy West PTO, our 2nd and 3rd Graders are participating in a program by Long Pasture Audubon. The funding covers 2 in-class sessions focused on Tidal Flats or Turtles of Cape Cod, and a field trip to Long Pasture. Our 2nd Grades will be visiting tomorrow. A reminder that students can ONLY attend field trips if permission slips are returned to school signed by a parent or guardian.
- Contact information must be updated for your child each year.
- Update information
- If you don’t know your child’s 6-digit LASID number, please contact me, Mr. Currey, or your child’s teacher.
- It seems like Heelys (sneakers with pop-out wheels) are making a comeback. These shoes are unsafe for children to wear in school. If your child comes to school wearing these shoes, they will be provided a loaner pair from the Nurse’s Office or you will need to bring in another pair of shoes. Your cooperation is appreciated!
- As it gets warmer out, here is a reminder of our dress code policy from our Handbook. The way we dress and look has an impact on our educational atmosphere. Students are not permitted to dress in a manner that is disruptive to the educational process. Examples of items that could be considered disruptive include:
- Extremely short skirts or shorts, tank tops, halter-tops or other garments that reveal the midriff or undergarments.
- Clothing with language or pictures that are profane or suggestive, or which promote products or activities that are illegal or violent.
- Clothing which is disparaging to others.
- Clothing, pins, insignias, colors, jewelry, or emblems that identify students as a member of a gang.
- Save the Date! Our Title I Department will be hosting a Game Night for Hyannis West students and their families on June 9th, 5:45 - 6:45 in the Hy West Courtyard. Bring a blanket and a game to play. This is a great chance to meet other Hy West families. More information will be sent home in backpacks soon.
- Please view this flyer regarding a health study regarding the drinking water in Hyannis.
- Our next PTO (Parent/Teacher Organization) meeting is Wednesday, June 1st at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom. We’d love to see you!
- There’s still time to complete our Hyannis West Family Survey. We value your feedback! Thank you! A flier with a QR code was sent home in backpacks last week for another way to access the online survey.
- If your child is sick and cannot attend school, please report their absence to Nurse Ricki at (508) 790-6480 ext. 1532 or via email.
- Please use these important links as needed:
Have a wonderful week! If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.
Respectfully, Kathi Amato