April 3, 2022
Hello Hyannis West Families!
Spring has sprung at Hyannis West! We have a busy couple of weeks until April vacation.
- This Wednesday, April 6th, is a half day of school for students. Our staff will be participating in professional development. Pick-up is at 11:45 a.m. and buses leave about 12:00 p.m. There is NO after-school daycare or 21st Century Program on half days. A reminder that a half day does count as a day of school, so it’s important that your child attend.
- There is no school from April 15th to the 24th due to April vacation. We will see everyone back on Monday, April 25th.
- Our Hyannis West PTO March Prize Calendar fundraiser is complete! Thank you to everyone who purchased a calendar to support our PTO and our students! We will continue to raise funds to enhance our playground and our school.
- There’s still time to complete our Hyannis West Family Survey. We value your feedback. Thank you!
- Many Hyannis West educators are participating in trying out potential reading programs that may be adopted in our district. This is part of a literacy grant that Barnstable Public Schools received from the Department of Education. I will keep our families informed along the way.
- We will continue to practice the star expectation of Solving Problems. This is a skill that all students learn through our Second Step Curriculum. Students are taught to calmly identify and describe the problem, think about possible solutions, then choose the best solution for the situation.
- A reminder that state MCAS testing (English Language Arts) for our 3rd grade students is this Tuesday and Thursday. Please ensure that your 3rd grader comes to school and arrives on time.
- Below is information about what Title I Reading Teachers are focusing on with our Kindergarten students during intervention for the month of April:
- We are working on reviewing letter names and sounds we have already learned, as well as learning the names and sounds of new letters. Students continue working on reading and spelling words, as well as reading and learning new sight words. At home, you can point out letters to your students on cereal boxes, while driving past signs, while looking through books, etc. to help them reinforce these skills. Be on the lookout for more information regarding our Title 1 Bingo/game night in the weeks to follow! It’s a great time to get together with our school community, play some games and have some fun!
- Be on the lookout this week for a 21st Century Summer Program Interest Form. Our Summer Program, which focuses on literacy and project-based learning, will run from July 11th - August 11th, Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m - 2:00 p.m. Completing the Interest Form does not guarantee a space in the program. You will then be provided with an Enrollment Form at a later date that will need to be submitted before your child is accepted into the program.
- Our next PTO (Parent/Teacher Organization) meeting is this Wednesday, April 6th, at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom. We’d love to see you!
- If your child is sick and cannot attend school, please report their absence to Nurse Ricki at (508) 790-6480 ext. 1532 or via email.
- Yearbooks are now on sale! Each yearbook is $12 for Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd graders. All third grade students will receive a free yearbook at the end of the year! Flyers will go home soon but you can also order them online.
- Please use these important links as needed:
Have a wonderful week! If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.
Respectfully, Kathi Amato