March 20, 2022
Hello Hyannis West Families!
Between jumping ahead an hour and the full moon, it was a busy week at Hyannis West! Spring is right around the corner, so hopefully the warm, sunny weather is close behind.
- Thank you to all our families who have completed the Family Survey. We are looking for your input so we can improve our daily interactions and practices to ensure that students and families feel a sense of welcoming and belonging. Your honest feedback is appreciated!
- We have a couple of more weeks of daily prizes for our Hyannis West PTO Prize Calendar. You can see if you, or someone you know, is a winner by watching the daily videos on the Hy West PTO Facebook Page or by looking at the Prize Calendar on the Hy West website.
- I have been talking to some classrooms, reminding them about appropriate internet use. While we closely monitor student use of their devices at school, it is apparent that some students are accessing sites at home that may not be age-appropriate. Please check-in with your child to ensure they understand the sites they are allowed to access both at school and at home.
- This week we continue to practice our Star Expectation of showing patience. How does your child handle waiting for something they want or need? We are working with the students on what respectful waiting looks and sounds like.
- There are MANY items in our Lost and Found. If your child is missing something, please encourage them to look at the Front Office. Pictures of most of the items can be found on the Hyannis West PTO Facebook Page.
- Below is information about what Title I Teachers are focusing on with our 2nd Grade students for the month of March:
- Reading- This month, in second grade, students are working on the many long vowels and vowel teams, as well as reading and answering questions to build their fluency and comprehension. In Title 1 groups, students are working on phonics skills they need additional help with (most notably magic e and r-controlled words), as well as building their fluency by reading stories and poems, discussing what they are reading, and answering multiple choice and short answer questions. Does your child/children love playing on their tablet or computer? If so, check out SplashLearn for fun and educational phonics and reading games! Making an account for parents is free!
- Math- This month, in second grade, our students are focusing on how to quickly add & subtract all numbers within 10. For example, when shown the equation 4 + 3, students quickly know that the answer is 7. We are encouraging our second grade students to no longer use their fingers to count on in order to find the answer but rather use the various strategies that we have discovered together. To solve the above equation, a student may say “I know my doubles. 3 + 3 = 6 so this double plus 1 more would make the answer 7.” Strategies like making a 5 and then making a ten or using our doubles ( 4 + 4 = 8) are strategies that our second graders are finding most useful to add and subtract all numbers within 10.
- April 5th and 7th is English Language Arts MCAS Testing for our 3rd Graders. Please ensure that your child is at school on these days and they arrive on time.
- A reminder that students are considered tardy after 9:00 a.m. Also, students should be in school until the end of the day. Some families are starting to pick up students 10 - 15 minutes early. This interrupts Closing Circle in the classrooms and creates disruption at the front office. Please try your best to adhere to the 3:15 p.m. pick up time. Thank you!
- There are Bi-lingual Art Classes being held at the Cape Cod Art Center at 3480 Main St, Barnstable Village. Classes will be held for Spanish and Portuguese speaking children, ages 8 - 12 years old. Call (508) 362-2909 for more information.
- Our next PTO (Parent/Teacher Organization) meeting is Wednesday, April 6th at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom. We’d love to see you!
- If your child is sick and cannot attend school, please report their absence to Nurse Ricki at (508) 790-6480 ext. 1532 or via email.
- Yearbooks are now on sale! Each yearbook is $12 for Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd graders. All third grade students will receive a free yearbook at the end of the year! Flyers will go home soon but you can also order them online.
- Please use these important links as needed:
Have a wonderful week! If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.
Respectfully, Kathi Amato