February 13, 2022
Hello Hyannis West Families!
One week to go before February break. There will be lots of learning and fun going on this week with Valentine’s Day, the 100th Day of School, and Random Acts of Kindness Day. We also continue to acknowledge the amazing accomplishments of Black Americans during Black History Month. Here are some more Hy West happenings:
- This past week was School Counseling Week. At Hyannis West we greatly appreciate our 3 School Counselors, Mrs. Malone, Mrs. O’Gara, and Mrs. Frazier! They work tirelessly to make sure the students, families, and staff are all ok. Feel free to reach out to them anytime!
- Thank you to all our families who continue to use the car signs during dismissal time! It makes the process safer and more efficient.
- Our neighbor, the Enoch Cobb Early Learning Center, is looking for peer models, ages 3 - 5, for their program.
- Hyannis West is a Title I School. This means we receive federal Title I funding to support all students. At our school we have 3 Title I Reading teachers; Mrs. Burke, Mrs. Soares, and Mrs. Trivilino and one Title I Math teacher, Mrs. Morgan. These highly skilled teachers provide academic support both in and out of the classroom. Family involvement is a component of the Title I program, so each week the Title I teachers will share information about what they are teaching and provide resources that our families can use at home to support their child’s learning.
- This week our school-wide STAR expectation is helping others. Last week we discussed what it looks like to help others on the bus, in hallways, and at recess. Please ask your child how they helped others last week and what they can do to help someone this week.
- As you may already be aware, the Commissioner of Education has determined that he will not renew the mask mandate after it expires on February 28, 2022. As a result of the Commissioner's announcement, the Barnstable School Committee is able to resume local decision-making on masks. The School Committee will review its current mask policy at a Special School Committee meeting next Wednesday, February 16 at 5:30, at Town Hall. The School Committee meeting will be broadcast live on Channel 18.
- Every Hyannis West student has a technology device, either an iPad (grades K - 2) or a Chromebook (grade 3). If a device is sent home with a student, it is for school assignments only. If you haven’t already, please review the parent/guardian documents on the district website. It is important that student use is monitored closely at home to ensure proper use and to prevent damage. Any device damaged at home will be the responsibility of the family. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Help our school raise money to improve our playground! Last week every student received an envelope with 3 Hy West PTO Prize Calendars AND instructions. Please check your child’s backpack for the information. There is also an option to purchase Prize Calendars online now at https://app.99pledges.com/fund/hywestcalendar. Feel free to share this link with family and friends.
- Yearbooks are now on sale! Each yearbook is $12 for Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grades. All third grade students will receive a free yearbook at the end of the year! Flyers will go home soon but you can also order them online
- Save the date! Thursday, March 10th, at 6:30 p.m., we will be holding a Family Zoom Storytelling Night w/ award winning storyteller, Antonio Rocha. I will email a Zoom link before the event. Hope you can make it!
- Please use these important links as needed:
- Our next PTO (Parent/Teacher Organization) meeting is Wednesday, March 2nd at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom. Hope to see you!
- Registration for incoming Kindergarten students for the 2022 - 2023 school year is now open! If you, or someone you know, needs to register a child who will be 5 years old by September 1, 2022, please register.
If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.
Respectfully, Kathi Amato