January 30, 2022
Hello Hyannis West Families!
I hope you all stayed safe in this weekend’s storm. It was a big one! As of right now, there IS school tomorrow. If that changes, you will receive a call and/or email tonight or early in the morning.
- The Hy West PTO Penny War raised over $2,400 for our Hy West Playground Project! The class at each grade level that earned the most was: Kindergarten - Miss Robtoy, 1st Grade - Mrs. Bolt, 2nd Grade - Ms. Duran, and 3rd Grade - Mrs. St. Onge. Thank you to everyone who contributed!
- On Friday, our school community had so much fun celebrating our school-wide reward of Pajama Day and Bring a Stuffed Animal to School Day. When we all work together to be respectful, responsible, and safe, fun things happen!
- This week our school-wide STAR expectation is safe and respectful hallway walking. Respectful hallways allow everyone to do their best learning.
- As of Monday, our district is changing from the Test and Stay Program to At-home screening. Families who opted in to the at-home program will receive a Covid testing kit in their child’s backpack this week. This new program allows families to test their child once each week. The school ONLY needs to be notified if your child tests positive.
- There is a half-day of school coming up on Wednesday, February 9th. On half-days, pick-up is at 11:45 and buses leave at 12:00. There is no after school daycare or 21st Century Program on half-days.
- Hyannis West will be acknowledging and celebrating accomplished Black Americans during Black History Month in February. Throughout the month, I will include brief biographies of famous Black Americans during our Morning Announcements, and teachers will be embedding Black History into their reading and writing curriculum. Our Specialists will also be highlighting famous Black artists, musicians, scientists and athletes.
- It is expected that if your child misses school for any reason, a parent/guardian is to call the school to state the reason for the absence. If your child is sick or someone at home tests positive, please contact our School Nurse, Ricki Balestri, as soon as possible. She can be reached at (508) 790-6480 ext. 1532 or via email.
- Information about the next Hy West PTO fundraiser, a March Prize Calendar, will be sent home in backpacks at the end of this week. We will be asking students, families, and staff to sell the Prize Calendars to family and friends for $10 each. Each day in March, someone will be chosen to win a prize from the calendar.
- Please use these important links as needed:
- Yearbooks are now on sale! Each yearbook is $12 for Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grades. All third grade students will receive a free yearbook at the end of the year! Flyers will go home soon, but you can also order them online
- Our next PTO (Parent/Teacher Organization) meeting is this Wednesday, February 2nd, at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom. Hope to see you!
- It’s extremely important to update your child’s contact information each year.
Portal link and directions.
The username is your child’s 6 digit ID (“lunch number”) which the classroom teacher can provide for you. The password is your child’s birthdate _ _/_ _/_ _ _ _.
If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.
Respectfully, Kathi Amato