January 23, 2022
Hello Hyannis West Families!
As we head into this final week of January, there is a lot to celebrate at Hyannis West. It seems we are on the other side of the Covid surge and many staff and students are back in school! Thank you for your patience, cooperation, and understanding as we navigated through a very challenging time.
- The Hy West PTO Penny War is over! Thank you to all the students, families, and staff who contributed toward our Hy West Playground Project! I will have a grand total for everyone next week along with the classrooms at each grade level that collected the most.
- Last week each classroom submitted their ideas for a school-wide Star Reward. The overwhelming favorite was Pajama Day and Bring a Stuffed Animal to School. So, this Friday, January 28th, we will celebrate as a school by wearing our pajamas. Students can also bring their favorite stuffed animal to school on that day. What a fun way to celebrate the Hy West Star Expectations of being respectful, responsible and safe!
- This week we are still focusing on the STAR expectation of using kind, respectful words. We will focus on using kind words during more unstructured times such as recess, on the bus, and in daycare. We will also focus on our tone of voice because how we say something is as powerful as what we say.
- Did you know that our school district offers all its students and families access to mental health/counseling services through Care Solace?
Care Solace information
- Although positive covid cases in school and in the community have decreased, we still need your help! Please continue to follow the protocols below:
- Even if your child is eligible to return after being positive or after an at home quarantine, do NOT send your child to school if they are sick. Children who are symptomatic will be sent home.
- If your child is sick or someone at home has tested positive, please contact our School Nurse, Ricki Balestri, as soon as possible. She can be reached at (508) 790-6480 ext. 1532 or via email. Having a clear timeline of symptoms and/or test results is extremely important for close contact notifications.
- Please call the school to confirm ALL absences. At this time, it is especially important to know the reason for any absence.
- Be on the lookout for our next PTO school-wide fundraiser, a March Prize Calendar. We will be asking students, families, and staff to sell the Prize Calendars to family and friends for $10 each. Each day in March, someone will be chosen to win a prize off the calendar.
- Please use these important links as needed:
- Yearbooks are now on sale! Each yearbook is $12 for Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grades. All third grade students will receive a free yearbook at the end of the year! Flyers will go home soon but you can also order them online
- Our next PTO (Parent/Teacher Organization) meeting is Wednesday, February 2nd at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom. Hope to see you!
- It’s extremely important to update your child’s contact information each year.
Portal link and directions.
The username is your child’s 6 digit ID (“lunch number”) which the classroom teacher can provide for you. The password is your child’s birthdate _ _/_ _/_ _ _ _.
If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.
Respectfully, Kathi Amato