January 16, 2022
Hello Hyannis West Families!
Happy Sunday! I hope you are staying warm and looking forward to the long weekend. Remember - NO school tomorrow in observance of Martin Luther King Day. Please enjoy this Hy West Family News that you can expect to receive every Sunday as a way to keep our families informed.
- Thanks to the support of our Hy West community, close to $1,400 has been raised during the first week of our school-wide Penny War! All funds will support our Hy West Playground Project. Based on Friday’s totals, the classroom in the lead is Mrs. Bolt.
- Great news! Our students have worked so hard at being respectful, responsible and safe that they have earned another school-wide reward! Classrooms will submit their ideas for a reward this week.
- This week’s STAR expectation is using kind words. Treating each other with kindness and respect is important to us at Hyannis West. We will take time over the next couple of weeks to model and practice this expectation.
- As I’ve mentioned previously, we continue to see an increase in positive Covid cases at our school. Basically, most classrooms, every bus, and morning and afternoon daycare, have had individuals who have tested positive. Because of the recent surge in cases since the holiday break, it has become a challenge for us to notify every family of every positive case. Be assured that you will be notified personally if your child is identified as a close contact to a positive case based on our protocols. In order to successfully navigate our school through this surge, we need your help:
- Even if your child is eligible to return after being positive or after an at home quarantine, do not send your child to school if they are sick. Children who are symptomatic will be sent home.
- If you are not sure if your child is eligible to return to school, please call us first before sending them to school.
- If your child is sick or someone at home has tested positive, please contact our School Nurse, Ricki Balestri, as soon as possible. She can be reached at (508) 790-6480 ext. 1532 or via email. Having a clear timeline of symptoms and/or test results is extremely important for close contact notifications.
- Please remind your child about proper mask wearing - masks must be worn over their nose and mouth.
- Please call the school to confirm ALL absences. At this time, it is especially important to know the reason for any absence.
- The entire Hy West staff is working as hard as they can to follow protocols and keep our students, their families, and ourselves safe and healthy. We appreciate your cooperation, patience, and kindness as we get through this extremely challenging time. Thank you!
- Our next PTO (Parent/Teacher Organization) meeting is Wednesday, February 2nd at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom. Hope to see you!
- It’s extremely important to update your child’s contact information each year.
Portal link and directions.
The username is your child’s 6 digit ID (“lunch number”) which the classroom teacher can provide for you. The password is your child’s birthdate _ _/_ _/_ _ _ _.
If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.
Respectfully, Kathi Amato