November 28, 2021
Greetings Hyannis West Families!
I hope you all enjoyed the last several days! We look forward to welcoming everyone back tomorrow!
- The first trimester of the school year has come to an end. On Friday, December 3rd at 4:00 p.m., you will have online access to your child’s first report card of the year. The report card will give you information as to how your child is performing both academically and social-emotionally. You will see the grade level standards that your child is excelling in and which standards they may need more time and practice. You will also understand how your child takes care of themselves and others when at school. I will email all families the instructions for how to access the Aspen Portal to see your child’s report card on Friday afternoon, when the cards are accessible.
- For the next two weeks our school will focus on the Star Expectation of following directions the first time. We focused on what this expectation looks like in all areas of our school. Every Friday a Star Student is chosen from each classroom. Their picture is taken and displayed on a Star Student bulletin board. They also receive a token to be used in our new Book Vending Machine! Use this Star Expectation at home too! The more kids see how school and home connect, the more successful they will be!
- A reminder to keep your child home from school if they are not feeling well and contact our School Nurse, Ricki Balestri (508) 790-6480 ext. 1532. COVID cases in Barnstable are rising so we need to be extra careful. You will always be notified if your child is a close contact or if the positive case is in your child’s classroom, at daycare, or on the bus. Also, a reminder that masks are REQUIRED on buses and in school so please provide your child with a mask. While we have extras, sometimes students are more apt to keep their mask up and on when it is their own and it’s a good fit.
- On Tuesday, our Title I Team of teachers organized an amazing Book Distribution Day for our kids! Thanks to the generosity of the Hyannis Rotary, every student received two free books and had a guest reader in their classroom. Even some retired Hy West teachers came back for a return appearance!
- While we are still limiting non-essential visitors and volunteers in our school building, there may be a time when you need to come into Hyannis West (for a meeting, to drop off medication, etc.). All visitors and volunteers in schools, regardless of vaccination status, will need to adhere to the following health and safety guidelines:
- Face masks are required for all visitors and volunteers.
- Hand sanitizer should be used upon entering the school.
- Visitors and volunteers should not enter buildings if not feeling well.
- Any visitor or volunteer entering a school will be required to sign in/out at the main office. Any visitor or volunteer who learns they are COVID-19 positive and were in the building during their infectious period (48 hours prior to symptom onset or positive test, if asymptomatic), must alert the school principal.
- Our next PTO (Parent/Teacher Organization) meeting is this Wednesday, December 1st at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom. Hope to see you!
- Every Hy West student and staff member shares a hope or dream they have for the school year. We want to hear from you! What is YOUR hope or dream for your child in school? Please complete this Google form to write your hope or dream. We will display our families hopes and dreams around our school to inspire us daily!
- Wondering what’s for breakfast or lunch each day?
Breakfast and lunch menus
- For your child’s safety, each year we ask families to update their child’s contact information.
Portal link and directions.
The username is your child’s 6 digit ID (“lunch number”) which the classroom teacher or Ms. Curran can provide for you. The password is your child’s birthdate _ _/_ _/_ _ _ _.
Have a great week! If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.