October 31, 2021
Hello Hyannis West Families!
Well last week didn’t go as any of us planned. At Hyannis West we frequently speak to the students about being flexible and last week we were certainly all tested in that area. I hope you and your family are well!
- There is a previously scheduled in-service day (staff professional development) this Tuesday, November 2nd, so there is NO SCHOOL for students. I know this is difficult to hear after this past week. I can only tell you that these days are extremely valuable for instructing our staff how to best support our students, both academically and socially.
- Our Walk-a-thon is rescheduled for tomorrow, Monday, November 1st, at 2:00! We will come together as a school community, celebrate health and wellness, and celebrate the funds raised to improve our playground!
- Students should bring in their Collection Sheets and cash/check donations on Monday. We will have a record of online donations.
- For every $10 your child raises, they will receive a ticket for a prize drawing. Also, the class at each grade level that collects the most money will receive a special treat!
- Families are welcome to come cheer on their child during the Walk-a-thon. Come to Hy West on Monday at 1:45. Just park in the lot or on the grass by the busport. Check in at the front entrance of the school and you’ll be directed where to stand outside. Masks are not required when we are outside.
- Save the date! Hyannis West is holding our first Virtual Open House on Monday, November 8th and Tuesday, November 9th. I will be sending families a detailed schedule of 20 minute Zoom sessions (with links) where you’ll be able to meet many of our staff and hear about what your child is learning and doing throughout their school day. Monday night you’ll be able to meet our Special Education, Title I, and English as a Second Language Teams as well as our Enrichment teachers, School Counselors and Nurse. On Tuesday night you can virtually visit with our Gateway teacher as well as your child’s classroom teacher. At the end of each night, there will be a Question/Answer session with myself and Mr. Currey so feel free to drop in and say hello! While we will not have interpreters available during each session, all presentations will be translated and provided to families ahead of time. We look forward to seeing you!!
- Our 3rd graders will be hopefully getting Chromebooks for school-use this week! Families of 3rd graders - please be on the lookout for an email from me about Chromebooks on Monday. Your child will NOT be issued a Chromebook until you complete the form. You will need their school email and their 6 digit “lunch code”. This important information will be sent home in your child’s backpack.
- We understand that letting us know that your child isn’t feeling well can lead to missed days of school and perhaps even a COVID test. While it can be inconvenient, it is the best way for us to work together to keep everyone healthy. We appreciate your communication!
- Wondering what’s for breakfast or lunch each day? Here is a link for the menus: https://barnstable.nutrislice.com/menu/hyannis-west-elementary-school
- Our next PTO (Parent/Teacher Organization) meeting is this Wednesday, November 3rd at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom. Hope to see you there!
- For your child’s safety, each year we ask families to update their child’s contact information. The link to the portal along with directions can be found at https://www.barnstable.k12.ma.us/bts. The username is your child’s 6 digit ID (“lunch number”) which the classroom teacher or Ms. Curran can provide for you. The password is your child’s birthdate _ _/_ _/_ _ _ _.
Have a great week! If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.