October 24, 2021
Hello Hyannis West Families!
- Our Walk-a-thon is on Friday, October 29th at 2:00 and we are SO excited! This is a great way to come together as a school community, celebrate health and wellness, and raise funds to improve our playground! Students can collect donations until Friday, October 29th. Also, please share this link with families and friends to donate online: http://www.99pledges.com/fund/hyanniswest. For every $10 your child raises, they receive a ticket for a prize drawing. Also, the class at each grade level that collects the most money will receive a special treat!
- Families are welcome to come cheer on their child during the Walk-a-thon. Come to Hy West on Friday at 1:45. You’ll just need to park in the lot or on the grass by the busport. Check in at the front entrance of the school and you’ll be directed where to stand outside. Masks are not required when we are outside.
- Throughout the year, we monitor student attendance in terms of absences, tardies, and dismissal. We use the state determined measure of a 10% absence rate to notify parents/guardians of the impact of absences on learning. If your child did reach that 10% absence rate, you may receive a letter.
- While some absences are unavoidable, every effort should be made to avoid appointments, travel, and other "extra" days off on school days. Coming off 18 months of interrupted schooling, building routines and stamina is extremely important. We appreciate your help and in recognizing the importance of being in school on time each day!
- Wondering what’s for breakfast or lunch each day? Here is a link for the menus: https://barnstable.nutrislice.com/menu/hyannis-west-elementary-school
- Our next PTO (Parent/Teacher Organization) meeting is Wednesday, November 3rd via Zoom.
- Our Second Step curriculum is focusing on helping students identify and name their own feelings. They are also learning how to use clues like facial expressions and tone of voice to figure out how others are feeling. Please ask them what they are learning in school about feelings.
- As part of our Health and Wellness policy and due to COVID protocols regarding the sharing of food, we ask families NOT to send in cupcakes for their child’s birthday. Teachers have creative ways to acknowledge student birthdays and every student birthday gets announced during our school-wide morning message. Thank you for your cooperation!
- For your child’s safety, each year we ask families to update their child’s contact information. The link to the portal along with directions can be found at https://www.barnstable.k12.ma.us/bts. The username is your child’s 6 digit ID number which the classroom teacher or Ms. Curran can provide for you. The password is your child’s birthdate _ _/_ _/_ _ _ _.
Have a great week! If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.