October 17, 2021
Greetings Hyannis West Families!
- There is a half day of school this Wednesday, October 20th for teacher professional development. Car pick-up is from 11:45 - 12:00 and buses board at 12:00. There is NO after school daycare. Lots of learning still takes place on half days so please make every effort to have your child attend.
- Pajama Day was so much fun! It was exciting to see everyone enjoying a reward that our school community earned together. Students are already earning stars toward the next reward by being respectful, responsible, and safe each day.
- The first PTO event this year is our annual Walkathon on Friday, October 29th, at 2:00 p.m. Details were sent home in backpacks Friday. All money raised will go toward playground improvements and other school-wide enrichments. Thank you for supporting our school!
- Through Friday, we have completed 30 days of school. Attendance matters! If your child is absent 10% or more of the possible school days, they are considered chronically absent. As of Friday, that is 3 days or more. We worry that absences at the start of the year may be an early indication of a concerning pattern moving forward. Note that absences due to a documented COVID-19 case or due to symptoms are looked at with a different lens. Please know we are available to meet with you to provide resources and help to support your child’s attendance. We are in this together!
- Our next PTO (Parent/Teacher Organization) meeting is Wednesday, November 3rd via Zoom. Hope to see you there!
- Using our Second Step curriculum, all Hy West students learn how to “listen with attention”. The language we use is “eyes watching, ears listening, bodies still, and voices off.” Feel free to reinforce this language at home!
- Hyannis West celebrated the accomplishments of Hispanic-Americans during National Hispanic Heritage month by highlighting a well-known Hispanic-American during morning announcements. From astronauts to actors to artists, our students learned about many inspiring people!
- For your child’s safety, each year we ask families to update their child’s contact information. The link to the portal along with directions can be found at https://www.barnstable.k12.ma.us/bts. You will need your child’s 6 digit ID number which the classroom teacher or Ms. Curran can provide for you.
Have a great week! If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.