We are delighted to announce that the YMCA Cape Cod is able to provide staff-supervised, socially distanced learning environments where children can engage in their remote learning program and in important social interactions with their peers. Care is available for BUE students in Cohorts A and B on their remote learning days. Registration begins at the YMCA on September 8.
EEC licensed providers are ordinarily not permitted to serve school-aged children during the hours of the school day per Massachusetts statute. However, in response to the hybrid and remote instructional models adopted by many districts, COVID-19 Executive Order No. 49 permits EEC licensed providers to operate during the school day and with increased capacity to meet the needs of families with children engaged in remote learning arrangements. An expedited EEC approval process for additional space (new space or converting existing space into classroom space) will occur for EEC licensed programs seeking to serve more school age children during the school day during this time. The YMCA is expanding our space at the YMCA in West Barnstable and Camp Lyndon in Sandwich.
- Students must stay home if they are sick
- Daily Health Attestation – (https://ymcacapecod.org/wp-content/uploads/Reopening-Questionnaire-002.pdf)
- Adhere to EEC Health and Safety Standards with respect to:
- use of face coverings,
- maintaining discrete groups,
- promoting physical distancing, and
- frequent handwashing & hand sanitizing,
- Staff to child ratio of 1:13 with a maximum group size of 26 in accordance with EEC regulations
- Background record checks for each staff member
- Maintaining up to date fire, lead paint, and applicable building inspections
- Single point of entry for drop off & pick up
Cleaning & Sanitizing Protocols:
- The Y is following all CDC best practices for cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting regularly.
Remote Learning & Enrichment Activities:
Y LEAVES Program (8:10AM-2:40PM M-F)
The Ys’ virtual learning spaces will offer staff-supervised, socially distanced environments where children can engage in their remote learning program and in important social interactions with their peers. In addition to helping kids with their specific school curriculum, Y virtual learning spaces will offer enrichment opportunities like STEM, literacy, physical activity (including outdoor play) arts, and performing arts. Virtual spaces will operate in strict adherence to CDC, state and local safety guidelines and feature small cohort sizes, increased cleaning, emphasis on handwashing, mask adoption and physical distancing.
Y LEAVES Before (7-8:10AM M-F)/After School Program (2:40-6PM M-F)
While the school year may look different than before, the Y’s out-of-school time programs continue to be a familiar place where children can be safe, active, learning and engaged during their time out of school—something especially important as children adjust to the many changes related to COVID-19. Through a balanced approach to youth development, the Y offers socially distanced environments, activities, mentorship, and academic support, helping kids to thrive throughout the school year.
- All students attending the Y LEAVES Program will be eligible for free breakfast and lunch provided by Barnstable Public Schools. The YMCA will provide a free AM snack.
- All students attending the Y LEAVES After School Program will be eligible for free PM snack provided by the YMCA.
Program Locations, Classrooms, Child Capacity, & Staffing:
1. YMCA Cape Cod, Lyndon P. Lorusso YMCA 2245, Iyannough Road, W. Barnstable, MA
# of Staff
Cape Cod Room – Cotuit Conchs - Left Side
Cape Cod Room – Cummaquid Squids – Right Side
Administration Offices – Centerville Clams
Rockwood Conference Room – Osterville Oysters
Pool Lobby – Marstons Mills Mussels
Afterschool Room – Hyannis Halibut
2. YMCA Cape Cod, Camp Lyndon, 117 Stowe Road, Sandwich, MA
THIS PROGRAM WILL OPEN WHEN THE LYNDON P. LORUSSO YMCA FACILITY CAPACITY IS REACHED
# of Staff
Boat House – Kayaking Kois
Sullivan Hall Upstairs – Sailing Sharks
Sullivan Hall Downstairs – Canoeing Cods
Archibald – Hiking Haddocks
(available after 12/1)
Lorusso Upstairs – Paddle Boarding Perch
(available after 12/1)
Lorusso Downstairs – Fireside Flounder
(available after 12/1)
3. Other locations as developed in collaboration with other organizations if need rises
Schools Eligible to Participate:
Barnstable Public School Students ONLY
Age Groups Eligible to Register:
Students in Grades 4 & 5 ONLY (we may expand to K-3 for Wednesdays depending on space and family needs)
Schedule (select # of days needed per week):
Monday through Friday
- 7:00AM – 8:10AM – Y Before School Program
- 8:10AM – 2:40PM – Y LEAVES Program
- 2:40PM – 6PM – Y After School Program
The Y will be working side-by-side with BPS to offer financial assistance for any family that cannot afford the fees associated with the Y LEAVES program.
- Y LEAVES Before School Program = $4/day
- Y LEAVES Program = $26/day
- Y LEAVES Afterschool Program = $14/day (pricing only for Y LEAVES Program participants)
Program starts on Monday September 14th.
Registration is in-person at the YMCA Cape Cod starting on Tuesday, September 8th @ 12PM
- First and Last Week tuition (paid by check, credit card, or cash)
- Physical Exam within the last 2 years
- Immunization Records
- Enrollment Packet (available on-line @ https://ymcacapecod.org/wp-content/uploads/Y-LEAVES-Program-Enrollment-packet-booklet-layout.pdf) – please complete prior to arrival to the Y for registration.
Students will bring all required Barnstable Public Schools supplies including, but not limited to:
- fully charged Chromebook,
- other materials required by classroom teachers.
- face covering, and
- labeled supply of hand sanitizer (to be held by the classroom leader)
Please contact Denise Graham-Reardon, Associate Executive Director – Children & Family Services, @ firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-802-1298.