September 26, 2021
Hello Hyannis West Families!
We are off to a great start at Hyannis West! The last few weeks your child has been getting to know their new classroom, teachers and classmates, and learning about the classroom and school routines that will help them to have an enjoyable, successful educational experience.
I will be sending home a Family News every Sunday night that will celebrate accomplishments, announce upcoming events, highlight family engagement opportunities, and provide useful information for families to support their child’s learning at home. The Hy West Family News will be sent to families via email as well as in backpacks on Monday.
- Hyannis West is celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting the accomplishments of Hispanic individuals during Morning Announcements.
- A big thank you to all our pick-up families for using the Car Signs! These signs help pick-up time to run safely and quickly. Please do not park at Star Market and walk over to avoid the car line. This slows down the process. I need to call cars first to keep the traffic from backing up. Your cooperation is appreciated!
- Serving on the Hyannis West School Council is one way to be involved in our school. We are looking for 2 Hyannis West parents/guardians to serve a one-year term. The main responsibility of the School Council is to aid in the development, approval, and monitoring of the School Improvement Plan which is a document that contains our goals and action steps for the school year. We meet one time per month after school for one hour. The day and time can be determined once the Council is formed. If you are interested, please email me as soon as possible as we are scheduling our first meeting for mid-October.
- We are still following our COVID protocols and will revisit them throughout the year. All students and staff are required to wear a mask on buses and when inside the building. Mask breaks are provided when students are eating, learning or playing outside, and when scheduled by the classroom teacher. Students are also expected to remain 3 ft. apart when inside the building. Finally, please keep your child home if they aren’t feeling well and inform our School Nurse, Ricki Balestri, extension 1532.
- Every child is eligible for free breakfast and lunch at our school. We do ask that you send your child in with a water bottle and snack each day as we are currently prohibited from using the water bubblers in the classroom.
- Our first PTO meeting of the year is Wednesday, October 6th, 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. via Zoom. The PTO is our Parent-Teacher Organization. This group of parents/guardians and staff members work together to bring joy and fun educational experiences and resources to our students. The group organizes fund-raising events and all funds collected go directly to our students. Please join us if you can on October 6th. The Zoom link was emailed to you and sent home in your child's backpack.
- Picture day is this Friday, October 1st! You should have received a flyer in your child’s backpack from Lifetouch. While every child’s picture will be taken regardless, you can order a set of pictures by either completing the order form that was provided to you or by ordering through Lifetouch online. Please call Ms. Curran at the front office if you have any questions.
- For your child’s safety, each year we ask families to update their child’s contact information. You will need your child’s 6 digit ID number which the classroom teacher or Ms. Curran can provide for you.
- Unfortunately, given our current protocols, visitors are still not permitted inside the school building. We are working hard as a school to develop ways to welcome, engage, and involve our families because the partnership between school and family is key to every child’s success. We are discussing the idea of a virtual Open-house and will be in touch with details.
- While we are in the process of updating our website, there is still access to important resources and information. The website can be found at https://www.barnstable.k12.ma.us/hywest. Also, please join our Hyannis West PTO Facebook Page for important school and district information
Have a wonderful week and I look forward to connecting with our families every Sunday night via email. If you ever have any questions, concerns or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Currey or me.