February 15, 2017
HS RAIDER REVIEWBy Hannah Fay, Student Public Relations and Marketing InternBarnstable High School News for: February 15, 2017Keeping the public informed of excellence at Barnstable High School.
- As third term begins, we ask students to seek extra help from their teachers if they have not met their academic expectations. As we found out on Superbowl Sunday, there is plenty of time for improvement and success with over half the year remaining just ask Brady and Belichick!
- Counselors will be meeting with students over the next month to discuss progress and assist in selecting courses for the 2017-2018 school year. Students have picked up course selection sheets in their TGA within the past few weeks. Please review the course selection sheets with your students.
- The 2nd Annual Barnstable High School Lip Sync Battle is coming soon! It will be held in the Knight Lecture Hall on Thursday, February 16 at 6:30 PM. The Sign-up sheet is on Mrs. Gauthiers door in room 2209 sign up now, as the number of acts is limited. The grand prize for students is $100.00 cash, and there will be a prize for Best Staff Act as well. Proceeds benefit the Class of 2019 and Class of 2020.
- Prom Celebration Annual Comedy Night is scheduled for Saturday, March 11th at 7:00 PM. It will be held at the Cape Codder on Route 132 in Hyannis. Barnstable's very own Jim Ruberti will be our MC for the evening! Tickets are $25.00 each, and all attending must be 21 years or older. For questions regarding the Comedy Night, please contact Kim Conroy at firstname.lastname@example.org. For tickets, please contact Miriam Loiselle at email@example.com
- There will be no school on Monday, February 20th through Friday, February 24th due to the Winter Break! Enjoy your time off, Red Raiders!
- MCAS English Language Arts and Mathematics Re-Tests are being held soon. MCAS ELA re-tests for students will take place on March 1st through March 3rd, and MCAS Mathematics re-tests will take place on March 6th through March 8th.
- Barnstable Fine Arts III students and the JFK Museum in Hyannis recently opened BHS and JFK: Artistically Honoring Our Past. The exhibition, which showcases art created and curated by students following a behind-the-scenes tour of the JFK Museum in Hyannis, can be viewed in the Performing Arts Center Lobby of Barnstable High School through the first week of March.
- Spring Sports Information Night will be held on Tuesday, March 7th in the Main Cafeteria. This night will begin at 6:00 PM and is mandatory for all student-athletes and their parents. Registration for Spring Sports opens on March 1st.
- Congratulations to all 32 Barnstable High School students who will be advancing to DECA's state competition in March! DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality, and management in high schools around the globe. Students competed regionally to test their skills in one of these four categories. Good luck, Red Raiders!
- Congratulations to the six Barnstable students who recently won Scholastic Art Awards! Students Brianna Brann, Caroline Brodt, Anthony DeCenzo, Jennifer McMullin, Madelyn Murphy, and Margaret Murray were all honored. Special congratulations to Caroline Brodt, who brought home eight awards, including four Gold Keys. Brodt will also have her own photography show at the Cape Cod Media Center in Dennisport through the month of March.
Check out our upcoming sporting events on: https://www.barnstable.k12.ma.us/athletics
- The Cape Cod Museum of Art in Dennis is hosting its annual exhibition of exceptional student work. There are eighteen different Barnstable High School students represented at Through Young Eyes, which will be up through February 26th. A reception will be held on Thursday, February 16th from 5:30-7:00.