October 4, 2016
HS RAIDER REVIEWBy Hannah Fay, Student Public Relations and Marketing InternBarnstable High School News for: October 4, 2016Keeping the public informed of excellence at Barnstable High School.Hyannis, October 4, 2016:
- PARCC scores for current 8th & 9th graders will be available by Friday, October 7th. Scores will be distributed during TGA. Parents should look for these scores to be brought home by October 7th.
- Spring 2016 MCAS scores were sent home with students on Friday, September 30th. Parents, please ask your students to share these results with you.
- School days for students who did not pass their Mathematics MCAS last spring will be extended by one hour every Tuesday and Thursday beginning October 11th. During these times, students will work with math teachers to prepare for the November 9th & 10th mathematics MCAS retests.
- On Tuesday, October 4th Barnstable High School held a free informational seminar on paying for college starting at 6:00 PM in the Junior/Senior Cafeteria. This seminar is sponsored by the school counseling department and is offered through MEFA, the Commonwealth’s authority on planning, saving, and paying for college. An experienced MEFA representative provided an overview of the college financing process including: types of financial aid, how to apply, and financing options for families. Be sure to visit MEFA’s website—mefa.org—to download a copy of the seminar presentation in English or Spanish and to explore other tools and resources to assist you in the college planning process. Please see your school counselor if you have any questions.
- Barnstable’s annual Homecoming Football Game is scheduled for Friday, October 14. Red Raiders will face off against OCL rival Bridgewater-Raynham at 6:00 PM. Come on down to the turf to cheer on your Red Raiders, as well as to celebrate the crowning of this year’s Homecoming Kings and Queens!
- On Saturday, October 15, the Homecoming dance will be held in the main cafeteria from 7:00PM -
10:00PM. Tickets are $15 and will be sold to student every day before school from 6:45 AM to 7:20 AM until
October 6th. Be sure to check on the school website for selling locations! The ticket covers the cost of entry, as well as the cost of food and drink within the dance. Reminder—students may not purchase a ticket without a completed permission slip. Many thanks to the Homecoming Committee for planning and organizing this ‘Red Raider Pride’ themed event!
- Progress Reports for Quarter 1 will be sent home with students on Wednesday, October 12th. Students should share these reports with parents, so be on the lookout!
- Congratulations to the 94 seniors who were awarded the John and Abigail Adams Scholarship! To be eligible for the John and Abigail Adams Scholarship, students must score at the ‘Advanced’ performance level on one of the three high school state assessment tests in ELA, Mathematics, or STE (Biology, Chemistry, Introductory Physics, or Technology/Engineering). Students must also have scored at the ‘Proficient’ level or higher on the remaining two high school state assessment tests. Combined scores from the three tests must also place them in the top 25 percent of students in the graduating class in their district. In the upcoming weeks, students will be invited to a presentation of the formal scholarship letter. In addition, a copy of the award letter will be placed in each student’s file. For complete scholarship guidelines and a list of accepting colleges, please see the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education website.
- PSATs will be held in school on Wednesday, October 19th. ALL sophomores will take the exam, and will be automatically scheduled to take the test. Juniors who are interested in taking the test MUST register in their House Offices before Friday, October 7th by bringing a check for $15 made out to Barnstable High School.
Fee waivers are available for students who qualify. If you believe you qualify, please notify the administrative assistant in your House Office or your school counselor. Students who pay for, but do not take, the exam unfortunately cannot be given a refund.
Check out our upcoming sporting events on: https://www.barnstable.k12.ma.us/athletics
- Also held on Wednesday, October 19th will be the All Cape College Fair. This event will take place from
3:30 PM to 5:30 PM in the Field House, where representatives from various colleges across the region (and
country) will be set up to provide information and answer questions. This is a great opportunity for students
and parents to plan for the future and explore their options!